As the summer heat intensifies, it's crucial to maintain a comfortable and healthy indoor environment. Poor indoor air quality can lead to various health issues, including allergies and respiratory problems. To help you breathe easier and stay cool this summer, we've compiled a comprehensive guide with four essential indoor air quality tips backed by expert advice and resources.
1. Regularly Change or Clean Your Air Filters
One of the most effective ways to improveindoor air quality is by regularly changing or cleaning your air filters. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), air filters play a vital role in removing pollutants such as dust, pet dander, and pollen from the air. To ensure optimal performance, it's recommended to change or clean your air filters every 30 to 90 days, depending on the type of filter and your household's specific needs.
Tips for maintaining air filters:
- Choose high-quality filters with a Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) rating of 8 or higher.
- Check your filters monthly and replace or clean them when they appear dirty or clogged.
- Consider upgrading to a higher-efficiency filter if you have pets or allergy sufferers in your home.
2. Control Humidity Levels
High humidity levels can make your home feel hotter and stuffier, as well as promote the growth of mold and mildew. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), maintaining indoor humidity levels between 30% and 60% can help prevent mold growth and improve indoor air quality.
Ways to control humidity levels:
- Use a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture from the air.
- Install exhaust fans in moisture-prone areas, such as bathrooms and kitchens.
- Ensure proper ventilation in your home by opening windows and using fans when appropriate.
3. Keep Your Home Clean and Dust-Free
Regular cleaning can significantly reduce the amount of dust and allergens in your home, leading to better indoor air quality. The American Lung Association recommends using a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter to effectively remove dust mites, pet dander, and other allergens from your living spaces.
Cleaning tips for improved indoor air quality:
- Vacuum at least once weekly, paying particular attention to high-traffic areas and upholstered furniture.
- Wash bedding, curtains, and other fabrics regularly to remove dust and allergens.
- Keep clutter to a minimum to reduce dust-collecting surfaces.
4. Schedule Regular HVAC Maintenance
Regular HVAC maintenance is essential for optimal indoor air quality and ensuring your system runs efficiently. A well-maintained system can help prevent the buildup of dust and debris in your ducts, reducing the risk of respiratory issues and allergies.
Benefits of regular HVAC maintenance:
- Improved indoor air quality and comfort.
- Increased energy efficiency, resulting in lower utility bills.
- Extended lifespan of your HVAC system.
Air Filtration & Purification Installation in Central New Jersey
At Valairco, we understand the importance of maintaining a healthy and comfortable indoor environment during summer. Our expert technicians are committed to providing top-notch indoor air quality services to ensure your home stays cool, clean, and safe all season. Contact us today at (855) 661-3300 to schedule your HVAC maintenance and start enjoying the benefits of improved indoor air quality.